The safety recommendations call for eliminating two rounds robin – that means six days. What will that do the racing calendar? The objective is to give the challengers more time for maintenance. Let’s assume ACRM wants…
- to minimize the number of times any team races two days in a row
- to change only the round robin phase; leave all other dates unchanged
- to keep the existing order of racing, as far as possible
- to hold races on Saturdays and Sundays
Here’s how they could do it with minimum change:
- eliminate racing on Wednesdays and Fridays
- race on Thursdays
- reverse the order of the first two races of RR3
- eliminate the last weekend of the round robin
This way each team has one weekend when they race both days. Otherwise every race day is followed by at least one day off. It also gives the teams a longer break before the start of the Louis Vuitton Cup Semi-final.
Here’s what the calendar would look like in July:
And here is the existing calendar it would replace:
August and September dates remain unchanged, although race start times may be earlier due to the new, lower wind limits.
Start times likely to change due to new, lower wind limits. Start times likely to change due to new, lower wind limits.