Conditions (Protocol) for the 35th America’s Cup in 2017
Last update: 4 Jan 2016 by Jack Griffin
Wind limits: five to 25 knots for all events.
Nationality: one crew on AC45 (out of five), all six Youth AC crew and one crew (out of six) on AC Class must hold passport or have been born in the country represented.
“America’s Cup World Series” 2015-17 – Various venues
- Fleet racing only, in foiling one designAC45 catamarans.
- All races in 2015, 2016 and 2017 count together to determine ACWS standings.
- See current ACWS schedule here.
- Protocol calls for six to eight events in each of 2015 and 2016. One additional event to be held in Q1 2017 . Only three events were held in 2015. Six have been announced and five confirmed for 2016.See current schedule here.
- Two bonus points for winner of series and one bonus point for runner up towards round robin “America’s Cup Qualifiers.”
- Standings from ACWS will be used as tie-breakers in AC Qualifiers.
- Practice races on Fridays, official races on Saturday and Sunday. Sunday races count double points, so last place on Sunday scores as many points as first place on Saturday, dramatically diluting the importance of the Saturday races.
“Youth America’s Cup” 21-22 June 2017 – Bermuda
- Fleet racing in foiling one design AC45 catamarans.
- Crew of six.
- All nationals of the country represented.
- Defender and all challengers must each have a youth team.
“America’s Cup Qualifiers” 27 May – 5 June 2017 – Bermuda
- Match racing in America’s Cup Class 15 meter long catamarans with crew of six.
- Double round robin, with defender and challengers.
- Dates: 27 May to
- Venue: different from AC Challenger Playoffs and AC Match.
- Top four challengers advance to “America’s Cup Challenger Playoffs.”
- If the winner is the in the AC Match, they start with one point.
- Likely dates: February 2017.
“America’s Cup Challenger Playoffs” 7-12 June 2017 – Bermuda
- Match racing in AC62 catamarans.
- Semi-finals and finals. First to five points wins.
- Venue: same as AC Match.
- Likely semi-finals dates: early June 2017.
- Likely finals dates: mid-June 2017.
America’s Cup Match 17-27 June 2017 – Bermuda
- Match racing in America’s Cup Class catamarans.
- Defender vs winner of AC Challenger Playoffs.
- If either of these teams won the AC Qualifiers, their opponent starts with score of minus one point.
- First to seven points wins.
America’s Cup Class Yacht Sailing Restrictions
- First launch permitted 150 days before AC Qualifiers, i.e. 27 December 2017.
- Competitors may sail together on dates to be announced by the Commercial Commissioner by 26 May 2016.
- Challengers may build one boat, two wings, six one-piece daggerboards or six daggerboard upper sections and 12 daggerboard lower sections.
- The defender may build two boats, two wings, six one-piece daggerboards or six daggerboard upper sections and 12 daggerboard lower sections.
- If the defender builds two boats they may only race the first boat.
Deadlines Specified in the Protocol
26 May 2016: Announcement by Commercial Commissioner of the dates when competitors may sail or test their AC Class Yachts together – to be announced no later than one year before the first race of the America’s Cup Qualifiers per Article 35.5(b).